Here are some pics of yesterday:
Easiest exhaust manifold I've removed. Ever. Didn't even have to break out a cheater bar or cut the bolts like it usually seems to be with 45 year old exhaust pieces.
Intake was a bit of a bear to get off, but nothing looks destroyed inside.
After hitting it with the wire wheel. Not completely gasket-free, but almost there.
Scariest part: the oil pan. More on the little chunks in the next pic.
Seemed to be chunks of pale plastic, kinda like what they make timing chain guides out of on modern cars. Plastic timing gears (was that a thing in the late 70's/early 80's?) is the only thing we could come up with that it could be :/
Biggest set back of the day: trying to turn the engine to get at the bolts that held the torque converter on aaaaannnnnddddd CHUNK. Luckily it could still be used to turn it over the crank, but time to find a new three bolt harmonic balance!
Last thing we did before calling it a night is pulling the cam out, cleaning it, and putting assembly lube on it.
The only non-engine thing we did yesterday is take out the panel someone riveted in to cover the HVAC duct holes. Yay heat! (that sideways rough oval is where we think aftermarket air conditioning was installed)
We only use the finest Corinthian leather to sit on while working on these projects.
Here is the view facing forward of the drag-racing-years reinforcement I'd sometimes mention. We cut an old radiator support that fits perfectly around it, so it's staying.
I miss the shop. I miss the shop sooooooooooo much.