I don’t know if everyone is already doing this, as the majority of cars have tires and wheel options available en masse, but it could still be useful to check the intended wheel and tire sizes for the car that you are acquiring before you buy it.
My NSX had a staggered 16"/17" wheel setup (aftermarket) that was a challenge to find tires with the right dimensions for the fronts without going a little narrow or wide.
My Z06 has 20"x12" rear wheels that take OEM tire specs of P335/25ZR20 which Tire Rack only sells a few models of.
Sticking with Tire Rack for the time being, I can purchase:
1. Conti ExtremeContact Sport
2. Michelin Pilot Super Sport ZP
3. Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ ZP
4. Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 (Currently running and going bald at 5k mi)
5. And interestingly, Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 Winter tires that also fit the stock wheels.
The last time I bought rears to have mounted/balanced, the rears were so big that Firestone told me to go somewhere else. So I did.
The Cup 2 rears are wearing so fast on my current daily Vette that I’m probably going to switch to the Super Sports. I realize I can probably switch out to non-runflats, but when I attempt to search by size only on Tire Rack the Contis and the Alpins are showing up that way.