So I bought a truck. It’s a bit worn out with 306K miles, and a bit GM-y (but that’s part of the charm), but besides that, it’s a truck! And trucks are cool! Mine even has comedy stickers. (Aside: Any suggestions for more comedy stickers?)
So I started out with fixing the blower motor controls. In classic mid 00s GM fashion, the resistor pack had burned out, leaving only one fan speed. I acquired a replacement part, and less than 48 hours later, it failed.
So I’ve decided to make a list of everything that needs doing.
- Replace the replacement resistor pack
(if that doesn’t work, replace the blower motor. It’s less than $50)
- Change the trailer brake controller (should be here Thursday)
- Replace the instrument cluster (It’s on order at Advance)
- Re-finish the headlights
(if that doesn’t work, replace headlights. All the housings are less than $100 total)
- Find screws for the tail light housings and replace the backup lamp
(otherwise, new tail light housings)
- Extract the sheared screw out of the shift lever (Oh yes)
- Replace screw in shift lever
- Change the oil and filter
(Takes 2.5 gallons of oil)
- Run some diesel kleen/ B20 through the fuel system (and find out if I need to get some Viton O-rings)
- Change fuel filter
- Change the coolant (maybe)
- Change the brake fluid (Smells bad)
- Change the power steering fluid
- Take the truck up to RamblinRover and fab/weld a patch for the pickup box floor
- Possibly do a service on the Allison 1000
- Maybe do a fluid change on the transfer case
- See how the differentials are doing
- Check the brakes
And just maybe after that, I’ll put in a new radio and speakers. I haven’t done a car audio system in about 7-8 years. So I’ll have to find out (or you can tell me) what’s good and what’s not so good.
I think it’s now official. I’ve bought a project truck.