And now we are back to the Trucklopnik Chronicles, where I do something to my 2005 Chevy Duramax 4x4 with extra comedy stickers. From the last time, we found that I just cannot be bothered to replace the cheapo resistor pack. This week I decide to tackle the bed. So I found a workshop, and cued the music.

For this, I went to a college buddy’s house for the weekend, otherwise known as RamblinRover.

Advertisement

(Bed Capacity calculated at 14 RamblinRovers)

Also note that the left tail light is out. The reason for this is that the 7 way connector in the bed is actually scotchlocked to the bumper 7 way harness, and not waterproofed. So *my* job was to work on the electrics and excise the demons of electrical stupidity.

However, that’s boring, and so back to the cutting and welding...

The hole in question? It was created because someone decided that it would be a good idea to mount a fifth wheel to the bed without any reinforcing bars between the frame rails, like sane people do. Over a period of 10 years, that means that you left with this.

Advertisement

Saturday morning, we started cutting through the bed to see what we were up against, and after going through some cutting wheels like candy (be honest, they are candy), we ended up with this.

Advertisement

That’s a rusted and sheared reinforcement rib for the floor of the pickup box. And that’s not good. We pulled out the MIG machine, and fired up the argon gas.

Advertisement

We took one of the good pieces that didn’t have any pitting, and welded that at the front, and then started with the metalworking for corrugating the other patches.

Advertisement

Many, many hours later, we finally welded things in, and went to town with the grinding wheel to smooth things out.

Advertisement

Advertisement

It is painted white now, but we just couldn’t be bothered to take a picture then.

So many thanks for RamblinRover and the MIG welder for patching the pickup box!

So here’s the updated list:

  • Replace the replacement resistor pack
  • Change the trailer brake controller (should be here Thursday)
  • Replace the instrument cluster (It’s on order at Advance)
  • Re-finish the headlights
  • Find screws for the tail light housings and replace the backup lamp
  • Extract the sheared screw out of the shift lever (Oh yes)
  • Replace screw in shift lever
  • Change the oil and filter
    (Takes 2.5 gallons of oil)
  • Run some diesel kleen/ B20 through the fuel system (and find out if I need to get some Viton O-rings)
  • Change fuel filter
  • Change the coolant (maybe)
  • Change the brake fluid (Smells bad)
  • Change the power steering fluid
  • Take the truck up to RamblinRover and fab/weld a patch for the pickup box floor
  • Possibly do a service on the Allison 1000
  • Maybe do a fluid change on the transfer case
  • See how the differentials are doing
  • Check the brakes
  • Replace the trailer 7 blade electrical connector