This weekend was mostly successful wrenching, with one really, really bad fail. Here is a quick list of all the stuff I managed to get done!
- Confirmed timing belt is correctly aligned
- Confirmed valve timing
- Re-adjusted valves
- Replaced distributor
- Replaced negative battery terminal
- Installed aftermarket TPMS
- Replaced rear wiper
- Adjusted rear latch
- Re-located expansion tank
- Fit light bar (don’t like it, going with Plan C)
- Applied custom “4WD” stickers
- Replaced all coolant hoses
I was waffling on the cooling system, but I am mostly glad I got that done. The hoses looked original and you could hear the fibers inside them breaking as I was removing them, a first for me.
Unfortunately this was my largest failure. Not only did the whole thing take a lot longer than I though, I didn’t successfully complete it!
As I was trying to bleed the system, using the factory method, I could not get the thermostat to open. Eventually the water started boiling out of the top of the radiator and I had to shut it down. I tried again using a vacuum filler, but with the same end results.
Turns out the thermostat I bought was defective. Did the water test and it didn’t start to open until 200 or 210F. For a 180F thermostat that is... unacceptable. After that first opening it seems to be working OK now, but I’m not willing to risk it.
So... getting there. I plan on getting to the exhaust shop later this week, testing the running at that time, and seeing if I can borrow a lift this weekend to change the diff and transmission fluid.
No worries yet... unless my highway issues persist in which case I am super boned.