This weekend I spent most of mine time making my truck not run anymore, by removing the factory Mikuni feedback carb, and disconnecting everything associated with it.

Why did I do such a thing? Because aside from a few dissenting views, the general consensus in the Mitsubishi community is that the best thing you can do for a G54B is to remove the overly complex Mikuni and the vacuum octopus that it relies on.

The usual followup to this is replacing it with a Weber, by way of a Redline kit. I made the mistake of ordering a kit that said it was Redline, but was a little cheaper than the other best reviewed ones..... What I got was a genuine Weber, but with a kit that isn’t quite right, and woefully inadequate Weber North America instructions for a slightly different Chrysler/Mitsubishi kit. But I’ve made it work. Sort of.

Advertisement

Advertisement

After lots of following vacuum lines to cap everything off, the first big obstacle was the discovery of a water jacket inside the intake manifold. No mention of it anywhere in the instructions, or really most places I’ve read about doing this swap. Off to the parts store I went to buy a tap and a plug.

Problem solved. Next was whatever hell material the old carb base gasket was made of. That took about 9 years to scrape off.

Advertisement

Let’s skip ahead to the adapter plates being on and the carb being mounted.

Advertisement

After the hassle of tightening the carb down with the hard to access nuts, it was time to set up the throttle cable. the kit came with a bracket that put the cable in the wrong place if you install it according to the instructions, so I installed it backwards and got it to line up. It also came with a different linkage plate for the carb....that didn’t fit.

This was the only way that would work for my throttle cable, so I made it fit.

Advertisement

So there’s the linkage as good as I’ve got it so far. There’s slack when closed, but if I tighten the slack, it tries to pull the cable out at wide open. So that’ll be fun to sort out. I have the fuel pressure regulator and gauge hooked up, with way too much slack. Those are necessary because the Weber wants no more than 2.5psi, and the stock fuel pump puts out around 10psi.

Advertisement

That brings us nearly up to date. The jets it came with are correct enough that it started from the baseline mixture setting, and idled once it was a little warm. Aaand then it died. No lights, no electricity at all. Disconnecting and reconnecting the negative battery cable worked for a couple minutes, and then it died again. So that’s where I’m at. No electricity, and an untuned Weber with a questionable throttle linkage and a fuel pressure regulator flopping around.

I’m really starting to understand why I see 4Runners, Pathfinders, LandCruisers, and Jeeps all the time, but no Raiders......

Advertisement

Hopefully I can sort this out this weekend. Or not, because it’s supposed to rain the whole time.