Buffer image! Horrible welds in this post!

Ahh simpler times...

So I’ve begun the process of welding new metal over the large holes claimed by rust. I’ve started with the right front wheel well. I’m using a 90 amp harbor freight welder. I’ve done flux wire welding before on my Volvo 240, but I was paying someone to do it for me and mostly learning by watching/helping. He had a much nicer Lincoln welder, but I didn’t want to spend a fortune on something that nice.

Last night I decided to start relearning how to glue metal. My first attempt isn’t great, but I’m getting the hang of it and remembering the basics. I think I need some nicer wire, as I’m just using the stuff that came with the welder.

Battery box, passenger side front

I know, not great, but it’s stuck in there pretty good. I still have to fill it in around the gaps.

Advertisement

Passenger footwell seam

These came out a little better, I had a better ground clamp on this piece which helped.

I have approximately one million more patches to do on this rusty beast, so I’m sure I will improve. Better wire may help. I’m also looking into DC conversion, which is popular to do to these welders. I know nothing about electrics, and I don’t even know if it’s with the effort, but it would be easier to control.