Well there's the problem...

As part of the Land Rover’s prep for our Big Bend adventure I removed the driveshaft so I could replace the flexible coupling and figure out why the parking/ transmission brake didn’t work. Well... I figured out why and now I’m in a little bit of a bind.

Turns out whoever replaced the Landy’s parking brake shoes last lightly neglected to put the adjustment plungers in. Number 7 in the diagram below.


The problem with that is no one in the US has them. This whole thing was enough of a pain in the butt to take off, I’m going to go ahead and wait for replacements to ship in from the UK, so in the interim I am lightly screwed.

On the bright side now I know why the parking brake didn’t work... and also looks like the $7 pads I bought on clearance are the correct ones so... could be worse.

Fingers crossed the vendor gets the kit sent out tomorrow. I’ve got other stuff I can work on in the meantime, but it would be cool if I could get the car off jack stands sooner rather than later.

Share This Story

Get our newsletter