So as mentioned, awkward kid I was. I once had to explain my hobby of modeling was not fashion modeling, but building car or robot models and such. Never really did live that one down very well.

Well when I watched car movies/animes/shows, the thing that I was most envious of was not the cars, but how the cars brought people together. I just love the camaraderie present as people would work late into the night and shoot the breeze while wrenching.

I got to fulfill that dream. Good friends really can keep your spirits up.

So when a friend was over helping me cut out the factory seat mounts, the sawzall wandered a bit and managed to strike the floor a few times.

Advertisement

Instead of denting like a decent floor, it just sheered basically around the patches I had spent months repairing. I used a pointed hammer to further prod and poke and found even a bunch of the solid looking floor was too thin. It was another head in the hands moment. The floor was just too far gone, and my attempt to patch it was a long exercise in futility. I should really have thanked him as I doubt that floor would have supported a seat for very long, don’t think that’s what I did though, sorry buddy.

Another heads in the hand moment. My friend told me that we can fix it again, that we could patch the holes, but I knew what had to be done. After months of patching welding on my back, dodging balls of hot metal. It was time to do what I should have done from the beginning.

I took the sawzall and removed the floor from both sides.

Advertisement

There would have been an obligatory flintstones shot had I not been so bummed out. I went out and purchased some more fabricating tools, a pneumatic flanger, compressor to power it, etc. And I wish this was a lie, but I had a new floor in in less then 4 hours.

As angry as I was that I had wasted all that time. The months of welding had not been in vain. I had learned valuable lessons on cleaning material prior to welding, welder settings, supply management etc. So when I noticed the engine bay rail had a bit of a gap between the wheel well, a hammer and welder made short work of that problem.

Advertisement

With the chassis starting to take shape it was time to address the parts.

Regarding parts and rust, it seemed the consensus was to sand blast anything that was sturdy enough to take it. So another trip to harbor freight for a sand blaster and a soda blaster just for the heck of it and a trip to the hardware store for sand and we would be in business.

Advertisement

Lessons learned:

Test the stuff you will use. If it can’t support your weight and you plan on sitting on it, fix it.

Advertisement

Sometimes you just need to clear your head and start over.

There really is a right tool for the job.

Friends, good ones, never mean harm (thought they may cause it). Look for a silver lining, but also don’t dismiss the problem in the first place, learn from it.

Advertisement

Costs:

150 - sheet metal for floors, 90* bends

100 - clamps, vice grips, magnets

130 - new spool of welding wire, refill on welding gas

50 - pneumatic flanger and hole puncher combo tool

20 - better metal cutting sheers

300 - two compressors

150 - sand blaster

50 - soda blaster

Subtotoal: 950

Total spent: 3055

*For anyone who has been following along. I apologize in advance, my intention is to release a post every weekday, but I just found out yesterday that the storage location where the car and all my tools are stored had flooded. I am in the middle of relocating and taking stock of the damage and in addition work will be picking up a bit. I have a couple posts written up that I should be able to release on time, but after they run out there may be a delay before I can get back to the daily pace again. Cheers.

Advertisement