Had to go with easy and at hand, so since I had ripe avocados, I grabbed a ripe jalapeño from the garden and made guacamole. Did the same quesadilla that he got for lunch the first two days, which is still delicious, so why not?
Roasted Poblano & Onion Quesadilla:
- Roast a lightly oiled poblano on all sides under a broiler until blackened blisters are on all sides. Stick in a bowl and cover for about 5 minutes before peeling. Remove the stem (will come out with a quick pull if roasted properly) and peel. Remove seeds and slice into 1.5” wide strips.
- Dice onion and sautée to soften slightly.
- Dice one to two strips of poblano.
- Cut queso Oaxaca into strips.
- Arrange the queso on one half of a flour tortilla with the onion and poblano bits.
- Place, open, into your toaster oven set to bake at max temp.
- After about a minute, when the tortilla has softened, fold in two.
- Flip the quesadilla when the cheese starts melting, then flip frequently until it starts turning a golden brown and puffing up.
- Rest a couple minutes before cutting and serve with guacamole.
Mom has landed and will be back about 30-40 minutes after he’s asleep. Big surprise for him tomorrow morning!