So its looking more and more like I will be leaving next weekend for my cross country move across America! That means I need to hurry up and figure out what I am packing in the Miata for the journey. Obviously being in a Miata means I can’t fit much so I will not be moving many of my belongings. I am just looking to pack the essentials needed for about 7 days of driving in a car with 200k miles on it and tent camping the whole way. Here is a list of everything I have planned to bring so far:
- Backpacking tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, pillow
- Folding metal shovel, wood splitter, utility knife
- Camping stove, pot, pan, cup, metal spork, can opener, aluminum foil, paper plates and plastic utensils
- Matches, lots of dryer lint, flint/steel
- Headlamp, flashlight, camp light, lots of AAA batteries
- 10 foot tarp. Also might just bring my 30 foot tarp if I can fit it somewhere.
- Rain suit and warm clothing
Car Repair Tools
- Floor jack, 2 jack stands, 2 foot breaker bar, deep impact metric set (10-24mm), 1500 in-lb electric impact
- Tool box with assorted open end wrenches, extensions (1/4, 3/8, 1/2) and adapters, pliers, vice grips, screw drivers, 1/2 inch ratchet
- Crafstman tool set with 3/8 and 1/4 sockets and a couple screw drivers and 3/8 ratchet- this is my main tool set
- Liquid wrench penetrant
- Rechargeable 15W work lamp (has a USB charger and wall charger), smaller 200 lumen magnetic work lamp (AAA battery)
- 20,000 mAh Anker power pack with 2 USB ports (2A each)
- 2 port 12VDC USB charger for the car (2A each)
- Duct tape, zip ties, and bungee cords
- Big 5 day cooler for the passenger seat
My plan is to just put all of the tools in the trunk and all of the camping stuff in my hiking backpack mounted to my luggage rack. Cooler in the passenger seat. Carryon suitcase and backpack in the passenger footwell. Anything else I bring will end up strapped to the roll bar.
Any suggestions for other stuff you guys would recommend? Im sure theres stuff I will pack that I didnt bother mentioning like sunblock and a hat. Or toothpaste and soap. But im talking more specific stuff I can order on amazon or pick up locally that would be helpful for a trip like this and is worth the space.