My dad has owned a 2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder for the past eight years. He absolutely loves the thing: mid-engined, manual, reliable as hell. However he is looking for a big upgrade. Price range is $50K-100K, and he wants something that shares some of the great qualities of the MR2. He wants something sporty and with a removable top, anything else is pretty much fair game. Current considerations and why he is shying away from them:
- Aston Martin V8 Vantage Roadster (used) - too unreliable and not sporty enough.
- Audi R8 V8 Spyder (used) - right at the upper edge of the price range.
- Alfa Romeo 4C Spyder - reliability questions and pretty shitty interior.
- Porsche Boxster - way too common, not special enough.
- Jaguar F-Type Convertible - maybe not sporty enough, depreciates like wildfire.
Also he isn’t really interested in any classics. So Opponauts, what do you recommend? Are one of the listed contenders above the clear choice? Do you have better ideas? Fire away!
P.S. - I realize this is the ultimate “first world problem”, and I understand how fortunate one must be in order to be in this situation and I don’t take this for granted.